Hi,

This all sounds correct but you just haven't got to the final level of your analysis, assuming you have a group of subjects.  I will answer for a set of different cases (two groups of subjects, one group of subjects, or a single subject) as I'm not quite sure what you have.

If you have multiple runs per subject then you should follow the three-level analysis approach as shown here:
https://fsl.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/fsl/fslwiki/GLM#Multi-Session_.26_Multi-Subject_.28Repeated_Measures_-_Three_Level_Analysis.29

From what you've written it sounds like you have got the first two levels setup correctly.  All that you need to do now is to do a final level (if you have a group of subjects) where you combine across the 8 basis functions and across any groups that you have.

So in your case the final level design matrix will take, as inputs, 8 basis functions (the outputs of the 8 copes you setup in the second level analysis) for every subject.  Then you would do a group average for each basis function as a separate EV and can put an F-test across this set of contrasts.  If you had two groups then you would have a separate EV per group per basis function, and then each contrast would perform the group difference for one basis function, and finally you can put an F-test across all these contrasts.  If you have one group then you just have +1 values for the appropriate basis functions in each EV, but still have one EV per basis function (averaging over all subjects) and then do the F-test across simple contrasts (one contrast per EV, just selecting that EV with a +1 value).

If you only have a single subject then you actually don't need the third level and can just look at the F-test from the second level that you already have.

I hope this helps.
All the best,
Mark