Hello FSL community,

I am trying to use randomise for a group comparison.  There are 19 images in group 1 and 14 images in group 2. I've pasted the contents of the design matrix (with age and sex in columns 3 and 4) and the contrasts below.

The issue is, for some numbers of permutations, the program quits with a segmentation fault after a certain permutation. In the example output below, when using -n 10000, it gets to permutation 634, then crashes. It crashes at the same permutation again if re-running with -n 10000, but it might be, say, permutation 345 if we use -n 1000, or it might even complete if we use -n 5000. Since randomise isn't saving any output until it successfully completes all permutations for a contrast, we're having trouble tracking down the problem. Does anyone have any thoughts?

If it helps, we seem to be able to always successfully run with -n 100, and we've successfully run with -n 1000 and once with -n 5000, too.

P.S. We also tried using the --seed option, but couldn't figure out how to use it. E.g. --seed 1 and --seed 9999 both exit immediately with a " --seed: Missing non-optional argument!" error.

Thanks,
Jon

randomise \
-i HC_T1DM_dv_2year_c1_c2_masked_mni152_gauss_2mm.nii.gz \
-o HC_T1DM_dv_2year_randomise_twopass_n10000 \
-d HC_T1DM_FSL_randomise_design.mat \
-t grp_comparison_FSL_randomise_contrasts.con \
-m WOLF_TRACK_3tp_c1_c2_mask_avg_mni152_thr0p1.nii \
-n 10000 \
-T -D -R -P -N --twopass
randomise options: -i HC_T1DM_dv_2year_c1_c2_masked_mni152_gauss_2mm.nii.gz -o HC_T1DM_dv_2year_randomise_twopass_n10000 -d HC_T1DM_FSL_randomise_design.mat -t grp_comparison_FSL_randomise_contrasts.con -m WOLF_TRACK_3tp_c1_c2_mask_avg_mni152_thr0p1.nii -n 10000 -T -D -R -P -N --twopass Loading Data:
Data loaded
Warning: Data demeaning selected, but at least one design column has non-zero mean - therefore invoking automatic demeaning of design matrix
8.18809e+08 permutations required for exhaustive test of t-test 1 Doing 10000 random permutations Starting permutation 1 (Unpermuted data) Starting permutation 2 Starting permutation 3 ... Starting permutation 633 Starting permutation 634 Segmentation fault (core dumped)

cat HC_T1DM_FSL_randomise_design.mat
/NumWaves 4
/NumPoints 33
/Matrix
1 0 19.4666 -1
1 0 15.5736 -1
1 0 17.1625 1
0 1 14.0889 -1
1 0 18.7764 -1
0 1 14.0861 1
1 0 13.7028 1
0 1 18.8736 1
0 1 12.9736 1
1 0 12.9736 1
1 0 16.8430 -1
1 0 7.9903 -1
1 0 8.8584 1
1 0 16.5139 -1
1 0 16.4042 -1
1 0 11.2903 -1
1 0 7.5278 1
1 0 12.8500 1
1 0 7.5972 -1
0 1 12.8667 1
0 1 12.1806 1
1 0 27.1639 -1
0 1 17.2472 1
1 0 24.1056 1
0 1 22.6819 1
0 1 14.5069 -1
0 1 8.4736 1
0 1 14.1375 -1
0 1 27.3097 -1
0 1 10.9528 1
0 1 21.1083 -1
1 0 18.1945 -1
1 0 17.0541 1

cat grp_comparison_FSL_randomise_contrasts.con
/NumWaves 4
/NumPoints 2
/Matrix
1 -1 0 0