Hi Mark,

Yes -If I only run FIRST, the registrations are pretty good and the segmentations look reasonable as well for almost all subjects. If I use FAST-corrected images in FIRST,  the registrations look very bad for 30% of subjects, and then their corresponding segmentations don't look good either.
So the difference is 3 subjects failing registration in FIRST vs. about 100 subjects failing registration.
I should mention that these are not-fantastic quality MPRAGE scans from a developmental sample ages 6-18. But I would still think that FAST would only improve the segmentation and registration, not make it worse.

Thanks!
Michelle