We shouldn't belittle Wikipedia unconditionally. It is as good and as bad as its authors. It is a good to take note of the authorship of  contributions and of the sources they have used.

Von: The English Place-Name List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Im Auftrag von Doug Rickard
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 31. August 2017 05:05
An: [log in to unmask]
Betreff: Re: [EPNL] The Chatel Stream

Cheers

Doug

On 31 Aug 2017, at 6:06 AM, BRIGGS JOHN <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Doug Rickard wrote:

I discounted the Chatel/Chateau connection as Bolbec Castle in the middle of
the village was not built until the 13c and the name of the Chatel Stream
appears to pre-date that. Of course there could have been a small castle or
fort thereabouts earlier but no archaeological evidence appears to have been
unearthed. Anyway the Bolbec Castle site has its own stream, a spring named
Sweet Alice.

The 13th century would be an odd time to be building a castle de novo - unless, of course, you are Edward I in Wales or Scotland. Wikipedia (bless it!) dates the castle to The Anarchy in the 12th century, which is considerably more plausible.

John Briggs