Oops!  My 13c was a typo.  I’ve got 12c everywhere else.  It could well be with the start of the construction of the Bolbec Castle that my Rickard stonemason forebear came to the village.

From: BRIGGS JOHN
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2017 6:06 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: The Chatel Stream

Doug Rickard wrote:

  I discounted the Chatel/Chateau connection as Bolbec Castle in the middle of
  the village was not built until the 13c and the name of the Chatel Stream
  appears to pre-date that. Of course there could have been a small castle or
  fort thereabouts earlier but no archaeological evidence appears to have been
  unearthed. Anyway the Bolbec Castle site has its own stream, a spring named
  Sweet Alice.

The 13th century would be an odd time to be building a castle de novo - unless, of course, you are Edward I in Wales or Scotland. Wikipedia (bless it!) dates the castle to The Anarchy in the 12th century, which is considerably more plausible.

John Briggs