Dear list members,

I am currently engaged in practice-as-research exploring vision impairment underpinned by two key questions:

1)	What could a cross-modal arts manifesto for blind/visually impaired persons look like/ feel like?
2)	How can acts exploring visual negation be used to generate public pedagogy and what may it bring to the experience of removal of sight?

In late August, I am conducting a research residency at The Brady Arts Centre in London, developed through the Open Lab scheme at Barbican Guildhall, combining invited speaker presentations, practical experiments and reflective discussions. One aspect of the intended manifesto is educational and relates to teaching and learning support for those with vision impairment.

I would be grateful for any responses from list members to the following questions:

How does your (academic) institution support students (including and beyond those in arts disciplines) with vision impairment?

Does your institution supply teachers with practice guidelines for accommodating those students with vision impairment i.e.  ‘reasonable adjustments’ and if so what are these?

If your institution produces documents related to the above information (and are happy for these to be publicly-available), I would be very grateful if you would share these with me to help initiate discussion at the residency.

I look forward to your replies. If you would like further information, please get in touch.

Best wishes

Dr. Lee Campbell FHEA
Lecturer in Fine Art
School of Fine & Performing Arts, College of Arts,
University of Lincoln. Brayford Pool, Lincoln, Lincolnshire. LN6 7TS

Recent publications on vision impairment by Dr Lee Campbell
'You Don't Need Eyes to See You Need Vision' In Sight, published by the Royal National Institute of Blind People, April 2017 (Non-refereed). Available at: http://www.rnib.org.uk/insight-online/fine-art-adaptations-student-vision-impairment

(co-authored) ‘Sight (un)specific: performance as research predicated upon deploying acts of visual negation’, Body, Space, Technology. 2017.  ISSN: 1470-9120. Available at: http://people.brunel.ac.uk/bst/vol16/leecampbell/