Apologies for Cross Posting

Colleagues are invited to submit proposals for contributions to a one day conference organised by the Museum of Domestic Design and Architecture (MoDA).

Full details of the conference and CFP can be found here:

https://japonismeindesign.wordpress.com

The conference forms part of the Museum of Domestic Design and Architecture's ongoing Arts Council England funded research project, Katagami in Practice: Japanese Stencils in the Art School <http://modamuseum.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/katagami-in-practice-project-launch.html>.

The conference aims to explore how Katagami (Japanese stencils used for printing kimono cloth), and other Japanese imports like them, influenced designers and makers in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, and how they might continue to influence modern practices of craft and making.  We are particularly interested in the use of historic collections in current design teaching and learning.

We are particularly interested in receiving submissions that discuss Katagami stencils, but we welcome papers which explore the cross-cultural use of Japanese art and material culture as design inspiration more broadly.

We are keen to include speakers who bring a historical perspective, and who are able to provide insight into current creative practice.

Conference organised by:   Museum of Domestic Design and Architecture, Middlesex University
Conference venue: Asia House, 63 New Cavendish St, Marylebone, London, W1G 7LP, UK
Conference date: 10th April 2018
CFP Deadline: 30th October 2017

Zoë Hendon, Head of Collections
Museum of Domestic Design & Architecture (MoDA)
http://www.moda.mdx.ac.uk
@modamuseum