From: The National Autistic Society [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 10 August 2017 17:02
To: Martin, Nicki 4
Subject: Welcome to your Autism Insight - 10 August 2017

Welcome to your fortnightly Autism Insight newsletter Can't read this email properly?

Welcome to your fortnightly Autism Insight newsletter

Autism and gender

This month we'll be revisiting some articles and interviews on the theme of autism and gender. Topics covered include the diagnosis of women and girls, gender dysphoria, ageing, educating girls and more. You can also sign in and join our women and girls and gender identity groups to share good practice and resources.

Watch our interview with Charlene Tait in which she discusses Scottish Autism's online support for autistic women and girls.

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

Watch Charlene's interview

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

Autism Hour

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

Image of the Autism Hour logo

For autistic people, the world can seem full of too much information − and too little understanding. That's why we launched the Too Much Information campaign to challenge the myths, misconceptions and stereotypes that contribute to 79% of autistic people feeling socially isolated and 64% of autistic people avoiding going to the shops.

As part of our campaign and with the support of shopping centre owner intu, in the week of 2 October we're asking shops and businesses to organise a National Autistic Society Autism Hour and take simple steps for 60 minutes that lead to a more autism-friendly world.

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

Find out more

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

Limpsfield Grange: understanding autism in girls

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

Limpsfield Grange: understanding autism in girls

Sarah Wild, Headteacher at Limpsfield Grange School, discusses how autism presents in girls and how the school supports autistic pupils, particularly with managing anxiety. She also gives us her top 5 tips on educating autistic girls.

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

Read Sarah's article

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

Gender dysphoria and autism

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

Gender dysphoria and autism

Dr Wenn Lawson discusses autism and gender dysphoria and highlights the difficulties transgender autistic people may face. He shares some of his own experiences of the journey to accept feelings of gender dysphoria.

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

Read Wenn's article

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

Supporting autistic people in North Yorkshire

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

Supporting autistic people in North Yorkshire

North Yorkshire Council has achieved Autism Accreditation for all its adult support services. It also worked to create Autism Champions. Melanie Trotter, Autism Strategic and Development Officer, discusses the journey.

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

Read Melanie's article

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

Commissioning survey

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

Commissioning survey

Do you commission services for autistic adults? If so, we are very keen to find out more about your commissioning processes and how our services are being perceived.

We would also like to identify how we could improve and simplify the commissioning process.

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

Complete the survey

Upcoming Events

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/7/2/4/4/4/files/6954451_tl_corner1.png

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/7/2/4/4/4/files/6954453_tr_corner1.png

SEPT

26

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/7/2/4/4/4/files/6954440_bl_corner1.png

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/7/2/4/4/4/files/6954442_br_corner1.png

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

Autism and complex needs conference, London

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/7/2/4/4/4/files/6954451_tl_corner1.png

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/7/2/4/4/4/files/6954453_tr_corner1.png

OCT

17

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/7/2/4/4/4/files/6954440_bl_corner1.png

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/7/2/4/4/4/files/6954442_br_corner1.png

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

Challenging behaviour conference, Birmingham

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/7/2/4/4/4/files/6954451_tl_corner1.png

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/7/2/4/4/4/files/6954453_tr_corner1.png

NOV

23

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/7/2/4/4/4/files/6954440_bl_corner1.png

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/7/2/4/4/4/files/6954442_br_corner1.png

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

PDA - strategies for schools, Manchester

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/7/2/4/4/4/files/6954451_tl_corner1.png

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/7/2/4/4/4/files/6954453_tr_corner1.png

NOV

28

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/7/2/4/4/4/files/6954440_bl_corner1.png

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/7/2/4/4/4/files/6954442_br_corner1.png

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

Continence problems in autistic children, Barnsley

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/7/2/4/4/4/files/6954451_tl_corner1.png

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/7/2/4/4/4/files/6954453_tr_corner1.png

NOV

30

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/7/2/4/4/4/files/6954440_bl_corner1.png

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/7/2/4/4/4/files/6954442_br_corner1.png

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

Masterclass on autism, self-harm and self-injury, London

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

Women and girls on the autism spectrum

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

Tuesday 21 November 2017

Location:

Manchester Rennaissance Hotel, Blackfriars Street, Manchester M3 2EQ

Contacts:

0115 911 3367

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

Agenda:

Join us at this conference to get up-to-date with the latest research and practice in diagnosis and support for autistic girls and women.

Women and girls need support that reflects their experience. Covering a wide range of topics to give you a perspective on the latest thinking across this whole field, you’ll leave the conference motivated, informed and equipped to deliver this support.

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

Book now

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

Autism Insight is kindly supported by Axcis Education

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/7/2/4/4/4/files/imagecache/8556908/w640_7997612_axcis296x197.jpg

Vacancy of the fortnight

Axcis is looking for two Autism Teaching Assistants to work at a further education provision in the West Midlands from September.

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

Find out more

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/7/2/4/4/4/files/6704521_share1.png

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/7/2/4/4/4/files/6726497_fb_large.png

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/7/2/4/4/4/files/6726501_twitter_large.png

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/7/2/4/4/4/files/6726499_linked_large.png

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/7/2/4/4/4/files/6726502_youtube_large.png

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/7/2/4/4/4/files/6726496_community_large.png

http://i.emlfiles4.com/cmpimg/t/s.gif

Please do not reply to this email.

If you no longer wish to receive emails from The National Autistic Society or wish to choose the types of email we send to you, please click here: Want to unsubscribe or change your details?

You can resubscribe at any time by visiting our website to register your details, or, if you already have an account with us, you can sign in to our website and change your contact preferences.

View our privacy policy.

© 2017 The National Autistic Society, 393 City Road, London EC1V 1NG, United Kingdom, VAT registration number: 653370050; registered as a charity in England and Wales (269425) and in Scotland (SC039427).

http://nas-email.org.uk/YA3-53EJW-KRYH8P/o.gif

Copyright in this email and in any attachments belongs to London South Bank University. This email, and its attachments if any, may be confidential or legally privileged and is intended to be seen only by the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please note the following: (1) You should take immediate action to notify the sender and delete the original email and all copies from your computer systems; (2) You should not read copy or use the contents of the email nor disclose it or its existence to anyone else. The views expressed herein are those of the author(s) and should not be taken as those of London South Bank University, unless this is specifically stated. London South Bank University is a company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales. The following details apply to London South Bank University: Company number - 00986761; Registered office and trading address - 103 Borough Road London SE1 0AA; VAT number - 778 1116 17 Email address - [log in to unmask]