Our IT team have been asked to provide access to a staff member's email account by their line manager as they have been off on long term sick.

Initially they requested access to their login credentials but was persuaded that that was completely disproportionate.

Our IT team thankfully came to us for advice.

This is a business email address. Our Use of ICT policy allows use of the system for personal use, but at the same time our Monitoring at Work declares explicitly that email is monitored for the purposes of detecting unauthorised usage, preventing malware etc.

My first instinct is to suggest that the line manager should seek the user's permission as the purpose for which the line manager wants access is not one that we mention in our MaW policy. At the same time all staff are aware this is a business email system and the access is for a business purpose.

My manager has suggested that we set this as a general policy and circulate this to staff. My concern is that if this became a general policy would we then in fact providing a false consent in that staff would feel pressurised to do this if they were going off sick?

Sure someone has come across this issue before!

Seth

Seth Speirs
Assistant Departmental Security Officer
Public Prosecution Service