Hi

I had processed the images using iMOSFLM. The option of “automatic ice and powder ring exclusion” was toggled ON when I processed the data. It is only now I realize that this is not the way to get rid of ice rings.

This is due to the exclusion limits being set too conservatively for the ice rings; you might consider it a bug, because this should be the way to get rid of the ice rings!

The latest paper on the use of iMOSFLM (Powell. H. R et al, Nature Protocols, 2017) suggests excluding data within specific resolution shells to get rid of the ice ring problem. I observe that if I set the limits 3.62-3.68, 2.23-2.26, 1.90-1.93 Å in “excluded resolution ranges” option of iMOSFLM, only the spots upto 3.6 Å are found and also predicted. Moreover all high resolution data is lost.  Somehow I am not able to get this strategy working in iMOSFLM.

This is due to a bug in the iMosflm code; it will be fixed in the next release (I've told the current developer about it...).

I could send you a fix so that this option works if you like.

Harry
--
Dr Harry Powell
Chairman of International Union of Crystallography Commission on Crystallographic Computing