Hi,

We used to routinely schedule evening examinations, but now only use evening slots if we have to.  Our examinations now run:

09:30 - up to 3 hours (+additional time)

14:30 - ideally without 3 hour examinations;

17:30 - occasional use, ideally with less than 2 hour examinations only (+ additional time)

We used to have afternoon examinations starting at 14:00, but had difficulty with additional time examinations finishing and, in addition to issues for any students with back-to-back exams, had difficulty getting invigilators and venues set for the afternoon session.  We also introduced a “late-is-late” policy, where students are marked as “no show - fail” if they do not arrive on time, and it helps having both begin on the half-hour.

We have very few evening examinations, and are careful to manage venues and invigilator venues so that we can handle the short gap.

This year we also had an unusual incidence of students given +100% time, and I am going to recommend that this adjustment is reviewed, so that the few students affected either sit a shorter paper, or are given a different exam format.  Hopefully teaching and assessment developments, especially with the “inclusive” aims will reduce the incidence anyway.

Brunel detailed responses below.

Best wishes,

-C