Dear all,

I have two identification related questions. I have uploaded the pictures in a dropbox folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9dvr285j3zo3af7/AAAPYEgFSQTVRcVHDlM2k3eMa?dl=0

1. The small bone - I can't even figure out to which class this creature could belong to. At least it doesn't look like a mammal nor like a fish...

2. The canid mandible - I've heard that based on the position or gaps between the teeth it would be possible to distinguish wolves and dogs. I haven't encountered any certain literature on that yet. I also must say that canids are fairly unfamiliar to me, thus the trivial questions.... This particular mandible also seems to be missing some teeth. Would it be possible to say whether it's a dog or wolf?

And continuing with dogs and wolves - I've also understood that it's quite impossible to distinguish them genetically - at least in case of fragmented aDNA. There could be some markers or positions in the mtDNA out there, but probably it would be tricky to try those, because there might be both temporal and geographical differences in populations that would make any results difficult to interpret in Estonian context. Am I right? Or have I understood wrong? The question is driven from a need to (easily and cheaply) distinguish few Early Modern Period archaeological specimens of wolves/dogs. Does anyone have any experience with genetic differentiation of ancient wolves/dogs or would there be some papers to suggest?

Thank you and kind regards,
--
Dr Eve Rannamäe
Marie Skłodowska-Curie Experienced Researcher