Minutes of the ATLAS meeting

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: meeting on singularity tomorrow at 14:00
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 11:01:30 +0200
From: Andrej Filipčič <[log in to unmask]>
To: Alessandra Forti <[log in to unmask]>, Rodney Walker <[log in to unmask]>
CC: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>, Alessandro De Salvo <[log in to unmask]>

A brief summary:
- pilotcode supporting singularity is now in production, we start testing targeted sites (RAL, Manchester, ...) with it
- singularity could also be started in the wrapper, but since we have the pilotcode ready, we try to use that
- for now we continue to use catchall, when we get more experience with site specifics, we think about what should be moved to site configuration (singularity.conf), what in AGIS, and if we can simplify things like using scratchdisk by relocating the bind mounts
- by September we should test most of T1s, some big T2s, so we have some input for the containers task force
- testing the containers should be done in a similar way as it was done with the new mover
- we follow up with hammercloud team to implement singularity HC testing
- for performance reasons, we should migrate to unpacked chroot. The img and the dir should be kept in sync, we will need both (eg img for HPC)
- we should concentrate on centos7 sites. later on we should also test the centos7 images.
- at pre-gdb, there was a discussion whether to go with non-suid singularity deployment. We also need to evaluate if this is feasible for ATLAS or not. Some sites might want to use it in the future. (it's not even available at this point in centos7, maybe with RH7.4)

Cheers,
Andrej