Hello David,

what the script generates is more commonly known as "Volterra expanded"
motion parameters and goes back to the classical 1996 Friston et al
paper. If you search e.g. google scholar for this term, you will find
some more studies using this or a similar approach, from Torben Lund,
Louis Lemieux and many others. For a discussion re: pros and cons, and
some simulations on the effect of using more or less covariates, you
could also look at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22036679

Cheers
Marko

David Stolz wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have found a bash script by John Ashburner on the University of Warwick's website (https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/statistics/staff/academic-research/nichols/scripts/spm/), called mp_diffpow24, which can be used to create additional regressors for first level fMRI analysis from the usual six motion regressors. Specifically, it gives out the squares, temporal derivatives and squares of the temporal derivatives of the six motion regressors.
>
> I am curious whether
> a) anyone has made any experience with using this (or a comparable) script, in terms of enhancing first level fMRI analysis (or if there are any systematic studies on the benefits/drawbacks of including such regressors in the first level analysis),
>
> b) whether there are any specific applications (MRI sequences, designs, etc) in which such a script might be recommendable to use,
>
> and c) whether there are any circumstances under which it is best not to use such additional regressors.
>
> I am not aware of any fMRI studies in which this script has been used, and I'd be happy if anyone know of some good example.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> David

Prof. Dr. med. Marko Wilke
  Facharzt für Kinder- und Jugendmedizin
  Leiter, Experimentelle Pädiatrische Neurobildgebung
  Universitäts-Kinderklinik
  Abt. III (Neuropädiatrie)

Marko Wilke, MD, PhD
  Pediatrician
  Head, Experimental Pediatric Neuroimaging
  University Children's Hospital
  Dept. III (Pediatric Neurology)

Hoppe-Seyler-Str. 1
  D - 72076 Tübingen, Germany