All,

I am currently leading a review of our internal retention schedule and a question has arisen that I would be keen to get your views on.

I work for a law firm and therefore the question is relating to matter files specifically and the closure of such once the case has ended (although this could easily extend to any other records types so any non-matter related thoughts would also be greatly appreciated).

More often than not, a matter file is opened, closed and then archived with an appropriate retention period. The matter then remains archived until its retention date has been reached (assume standard case files are 6 years) and is then destroyed.

However, in some instances a matter may be re-opened several years into its retention period due to continued work on the case and if so the matter file will come out of its archived state and its status changed back to 'LIVE'

My question is - once the matter is re-closed, should the retention period automatically be re-set to zero and therefore a further 6 years applied to the record? (and would this necessarily apply in all instances?)