Highlife 2

Hi Martyn,

I train all new starters on information management when they join and found the best way to describe them are this,

Documents: Are malleable. Can be amended and deleted without much fuss and you have total control over who what you do with them, for the most part. They are generally day to day running documents and provide evidence of work that has taken place, or provide information on work taking place but generally won’t be needed once the record of that work is captured.

Records: Are evidence of a transaction with us and a third party. They are date/time stamped and should be in a format that’s un-editable. There are many more rules regarding deleting records, and if we do so we need to record we have done so, when, and in accordance with what policy/retention schedule.

I know these explanations won’t suit everyone, but they work for me J

Regards

Neil

Neil Reeves CPS:RIM, AMIRMS

Records Management Support Officer