Van: Health of minority ethnic communities in the UK [[log in to unmask]] namens David Truswell [[log in to unmask]]
Verzonden: vrijdag 21 juli 2017 9:38
Aan: [log in to unmask]
Onderwerp: Re: article attached on child sexual abuse in Orthodox Jewish communities

Thanks Lisa
I have worked, albeit some time ago, in a counselling role in therapeutic settings with both abusers and abused so my views on this are developed I trust from a more nuanced perspective than simply equating alienation from the BBC with alienation in institutionalized abuse in religious institutions.
 What I would say is that I think the dynamics of ideology and context are more blurred than a simple distinction between institutional abuse in religious communities and other sorts of institutional abuse would allow for. Many of Saville’s victims for example were not simply silenced by the BBC but were living within institutional settings e.g, hospital or care settings, and their silencing involved a complex interaction of collusion between the institution they resided in and the status the institution perceived it gained through having a powerful figure from the BBC associated with the institution. In secular settings, for example if you look at institutional abuse in care homes, extremely powerful narratives defining the ‘otherness’ and guilt of the victim are in play. These narratives in defense of the institution invariably allude to the 'faith' and trustworthiness of the abuser and the institution.  Abusers with high social status such as BBC presenters, doctors, teachers and other high value social roles have both an institutional and social status that is an important factor in mobilizing the institution in their defense. The abused person may well feel everything they had faith in their life is lost as a result of the abuse. I think the extent to which this is intensified will be variable and not necessarily primarily as a result of their having a formal faith and being abused within that faith compared with having no formal faith and being abused by a secular figure everyone around them is saying is someone they should have faith in. Social isolation and marginalisation of the victim can be very severe outside of faith communities.
For children I don’t think that faith or the collapse of faith when they are abused by figures who they have been told to have faith in is a matter of formal religious adherence. So for me there is no fine line necessarily to be drawn between institutional abuse within a religious institutions and in secular institutions. I appreciate that there is something instructive to be learned from the social responses and institutional narratives used to sustain and support the abuser and marginalize the abused as they play out differently in religious and secular institutions. However my view is that the institutional dynamics are the same, protecting the abuser has primacy not investigating the allegation of abuse.

Regards

 David Truswell