Dear colleagues on LIS-E-RESOURCES,

Read online:
http://www.hifa.org/news/join-hifa-major-thematic-discussion-library-and-information-services-emergencies-disasters-and

Tsunamis, earthquakes; terrorism; conflict;
biological, chemical or nuclear warfare; disease
outbreaks, global pandemics, antimicrobial
resistance... The health impact of national and
global emergencies depends largely on the degree
to which individuals, communities, nations and
supranational bodies are adequately informed. To
what extent are current Library and Information
Services (LIS) meeting the information needs of
different user groups in different contexts?
Where are the gaps and what are the priorities for future action?

We invite everyone with an interest in global
health, disasters, disease outbreaks and
humanitarian response to join us to explore these
and other questions in a major thematic
discussion on HIFA, starting 17 July and continuing to 18 August 2017.

We are grateful to Caroline De Brún of Public
Health England, who has carried out a preliminary
PHE/HIFA Evidence Briefing around the question:
What is the evidence around knowledge and library
service provision and knowledge management to
support global health, and disaster and emergency preparedness?

Our thanks to Public Health England, Evidence Aid
and HIFA LIS Project members for their financial
and technical support for this new HIFA Library
and Information Services project.

ABOUT HIFA
HIFA (Healthcare Information For All) is a
growing global health movement working in
collaboration with WHO Geneva and more than 300
other health and development organisations
worldwide. HIFA has more than 16,000 members
(health workers, librarians, publishers,
researchers, policymakers and others) committed
to the progressive realisation of a world where
every person has access to the information they
need to protect their own health and the health
of others. HIFA members have experience and
knowledge which they can use to bring clarity to
challenging questions around global health issues
in general and healthcare information issues in
particular - including for example public health
communication during health emergencies. We have
more than 5000 members in Africa, 5000 in Europe,
and 6000 in the rest of the world, across 176
countries. We interact on five forums in three
languages (English, French, and Portuguese). We
are launching HIFA in Spanish later this year in
collaboration with WHO, PAHO and the Andalucian
School of Public Health. The website is
www.hifa.org and membership is free: www.hifa.org/joinhifa

Join HIFA! www.hifa.org/joinhifa

Best wishes, Neil

Coordinator, HIFA Project on Library and
Information Services (with special focus on
Population Health, Disasters, and Disease Outbreaks)
http://www.hifa.org/projects/library-and-information-services

Let's build a future where people are no longer
dying for lack of healthcare information - Join HIFA: www.hifa.org

HIFA profile: Neil Pakenham-Walsh is the
coordinator of the HIFA campaign (Healthcare
Information For All - www.hifa.org ) and current
chair of the Dgroups Foundation
(www.dgroups.info), which supports 700
communities of practice for international
development, social justice and global
health.  Twitter: @hifa_org   FB: facebook.com/HIFAdotORG     [log in to unmask]

lis-e-resources is a UKSG list - http://www.uksg.org
Follow us on Twitter:  https://twitter.com/UKSG