I agree Kim - it absolutely *is* my job to hear it, not just as a fellow
human being, but because it's impacting on their learning so I need to take
it into account, and I also think that part of my role as LDer is 'person
who knows how universities work and therefore how students can navigate
them', and therefore I act as a signpost to the resources that can help
them. I hear it. I can't help resolve it; the actions I can take within my
remit are taking it into account in any further work I do with them, and
referring them. The only point I'd stop them talking is if I felt they were
expecting a therapeutic relationship which I'm not qualified to offer. I
make a point of getting to know the counselling team to build this link.

I also strongly feel the lack of a supervisory relationship, and have tried
to build this element into my team's meetings as best I can. I would love
more professional development as to how this is done in counselling - as
well as a similar supervisory relationship for myself! Who supervises the
supervisors?!

Best wishes

Helen