I think a 6 second video could reasonably still be considered “event related”. If you model the HRF across several duration values, you will find that it does not plateau until events of about 20 seconds. While you specified you are not interested in modelling the HRF shape per se, its still a reasonably good model of how you expect signal to change, and I would argue our knowledge of the linear changes in BOLD signal over time suggests that a 6 second video would be no worse than a 4 second video. behaviorally, it should also be well within most people’s attention spans to maintain vigilance for six seconds.

I think option 2 is the best.

While people may often think of event-related as 0-4 secs duration, and blocked at 20, 30 or more, I think it is important to not get caught up in such distinctions. The important questions are, will your design enable you to test what you want? Can you model it in a reasonable way? I think the answer is clearly that we can adequately model a 6 second event, we know what the BOLD response should look like, and it will probably enable you to answer your questions of interest without the need to start changing your videos.

However, all options you suggests are viable.

Best of luck,

Colin Hawco, PhD

Neuranalysis Consulting

Neuroimaging analysis and consultation