Dear Philip,

                  I do agree that the "cult of unreason", as you put it, is damaging.  But also damaging is irrationality masquerading as reason.  This is what the scientific community does today.  Scientists take for granted versions of standard empiricism - the doctrine that, in science, claims to knowledge must be assessed impartially with respect to evidence.  This is upheld as the ideal of scientific rationality.  But standard empiricism is untenable.  Physics only ever accepts unified theories, even though endlessly many empirically more successful disunified rivals are always available.  This persistent acceptance of unified theories only, in a sense against the evidence, means that physics makes a big, highly problematic metaphysical assumption about the nature of the universe.  It is such that all disunified theories are false.  There is some kind of underlying unity in nature.

               Physics would be more rigorous, more rational, and more successful, if it openly acknowledged this problematic metaphysical assumption (instead of pretending it does not exist), so that it can be critically assessed and improved.  And there are, in addition, problematic value and political assumptions inherent in the aims of science; these too need to be acknowledged explicitly, so that they can be critically assessed and improved.

              We need a new conception of science, aim-oriented empiricism, which represents problematic assumptions of science inherent in the aims of science in the form of a hierarchy of assumptions, this facilitating critical assessment and improvement of aims.

              All this is highly pertinent to the successful pursuit of wisdom.  For this aim-improving conception of scientific method can be generalized, and applied to social life, to those enterprises that seek to realize what is of value.  Our aims in life are often profoundly problematic, and need critical assessment and improvement as we act, if we are to achieve what is genuinely of value.

             These, briefly indicated here, are the methodological considerations behind my argument that we need a new, more intellectually rigorous kind of inquiry, wisdom-inquiry, rationally devoted to helping people realize what is of value in life.

              We do indeed need to improve our ideas about what our problems are - above all our problems of living.  That Grenfell Tower should have been clad in combustible material speaks volumes about attitudes of those in power and those responsible, towards people living in Tower Blocks.  One cannot help but think that growing inequality in Britain, current government attitudes towards social housing, and the political determination to "cut red tape", all played a role in the tragedy.

                            Best wishes,
                                    Nick
Website: www.ucl.ac.uk/from-knowledge-to-wisdom<http://www.ucl.ac.uk/from-knowledge-to-wisdom>
Publications online: http://philpapers.org/profile/17092
http://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/view/people/ANMAX22.date.html
Dear Nick,
I am not able to do better than quoting your warning that: "Academia as it exists as present is an intellectual and human disaster.  The intellectual failings of academia have a great deal to do with the failings of the modern world. ... but ultimately among the academic community, and especially among those who have the power to influence its character - that what we have at present really is very, very, very seriously intellectually defective, in a wholesale, structural way, there being an urgent need to put right these glaring intellectual defects.  The future of humanity may depend on this being done."

I am unable to think of a more damaging source of anti-intellectualism than the persistent practice of "unreason" (a misleadingly mild term) in the public and quasi-public sectors. Practical wisdom capable of being acquired and exercised by the public is stifled with the result that the academic community is deprived of its audiences who could contributed much to the advancement of wisdom.  Return to the real problems of the world with scientific rationality seems to be long overdue.  A model worthy of considering is the "ethical movement" of 19th century.

The path to more insightful wisdom should be through "right opinion" that is relevant to the real problems experienced by the mass. Instead of "ethical", the focus of this new global movement should be 'jurisprudential'. If the right reason of law (of both the common and natural law tradition) and how it is being systematically undermined, as well as the implications are more widely understood, the process of intellectual rejuvenation could go hand in hand with the revival of civil society so that those who are muted would have their experiences and informed views heard.

The idea of cultivating wisdom at both individual and social levels, as well as the urgency of it, may be best disseminated by a series of empirical study highlighting the nature, causes and course of the problems. A case in point is the tragic Glenfell Tower fire. Is there irreconcilable conflict between the inflammable cladding and reportedly compliance with the fire regulations? And if so, what exactly are the problems?

Kind regards
Philip Chill