Social security systems around the world have increasingly been forcing sick and disabled benefit claimants to take steps towards work, under the threat of financial sanctions – but relatively little research has looked at either their implementation or impact.

To try and stimulate more research on this subject (and to bring together what we know so far), a special issue of the Journal of Poverty & Social Justice has just been published on this topic, which I thought some list members might be interested in.  A blog post summarising the special issue is available here (or here), and the special issue itself is available here. Beyond this, please do get in touch with me if you’re also working in this area, as it would be great to have an international group of researchers helping to build a better evidence base going forward.

Apologies for cross-posting!

b/w, Ben

Ben Baumberg Geiger

Senior Lecturer in Sociology and Social Policy, University of Kent

Co-Founder, University of Kent Q-Step Centre

Editorial Board member, Journal of Poverty and Social Justice

See the disability research blog: Rethinking Incapacity

School of Social Policy, Sociology and Social Research (SSPSSR),

University of Kent,

Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ

Websitehttp://www.benbgeiger.co.uk

Twitter:   @BenBaumberg (disability work) or @BenBaumberg2 (other)