Dear Andreas,

did you try the option '-t' to make SHELXE try harder, or other building
related options (take a look at the SHELX web page for talks and
presentations).

Can you make use of the phases without model building? (sfall)

Since you seem to get a PDB-file, could you use the coordinates to calculate
the phases off it? You can also provide the PDB-file as input file and restart
phasing.

Best,
Tim

On Monday, July 10, 2017 5:51:57 PM CEST Andreas Förster wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> since SHELX is now part of CCP4, this question is not entirely off-topic.
>
> I'm trying to solve structures by S-SAD.  Substructure looks weak but ok if
> the right resolution cutoff is picked in SHELXD.
>
> SHELXE is happy to do its thing for a while but then gives up with a
> "Peptide occupancy has refined to negative value" error in one hand.  The
> other hand is quite obviously (CC for partial structure, number of residues
> built) wrong, but the PDB obtained with the antimatter peptides looks like
> protein, is 80% complete and quite obviously the right solution.
>
> Because of the error, SHELXE doesn't write phases.  How do I get these?  (I
> could do MR, but there must be a more elegant way...)  Better yet, what
> might cause the "negative occupancy" error and how do I avoid it?
>
> Thanks and all best.
>

> Andreas
Paul Scherrer Institut
Dr. Tim Gruene