Hi Abby,

I’m fully in agreement with Simone and Otto - it’s probably a fungal sclerotium. You can tell by the somewhat polygonal, irregular shape, as well as the size.

Happy sorting!

Mac

On Jul 3, 2017, at 11:16 AM, Buffington, Abby <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Buffington, Abby
Sent: Monday, July 3, 2017 11:15 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Seed Id Help

Hi Esteemed Archaeobotanical Colleagues:

I am working on an assemblage from southern Arabia and I came across the following seed (?). It is 0.25 mm sq. in size, generally ovoid in cross-section shape with a small flat margin on the lateral side and circular on the ventral/dorsal ends. I thought perhaps wild Fabaceae or Papaveracaeae but none of the examples in my reference material match.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Abby

Abigail F. Buffington, MA
PhD Candidate in Anthropology
The Ohio State University
P: (412) 953-1436
E: [log in to unmask]

<Unknown D114.004.12.2 Seed w-scale.jpg><Unknown D114.004.12.2 Seed_Lateral.jpg>

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––
John (Mac) Marston
Assistant Professor and Director of Graduate Studies
Departments of Archaeology and Anthropology
Peter Paul Career Development Professor
Director, Environmental Archaeology Laboratory
Boston University
Room 345F
675 Commonwealth Ave.
Boston, MA 02215