Hi Deb,

Of course – I’ve added some more here. Unfortunately the dog is in Guatemala at the moment and I’m not, so these are the only photos I have at the moment (not the best quality):

Left Side:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fnqz1vbuy23q45z/Canis%20maxilla%20-%20left%20P4%2001.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ukay2rol5t4boxc/Canis%20maxilla%20-%20left%20P4%2002.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3yu3q977w57lbds/Canis%20maxilla%20-%20left%20P4%2003.jpg?dl=0

Right Side:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/thpccnmhtlnwzgl/Canis%20upper%20right%20P4.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2aerdlcdixy7otf/Canis%20upper%20right%20P4%20-%20Photo%2003.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n12i027dfloh8dp/Canis%20upper%20right%20P4%20-%20Photo%2002.jpg?dl=0

The “problem” is in the maxillary carnassials – the signature “L”-shape is missing. As I mentioned in my initial post, the dog’s skull was fragmented (Guatemala’s jungles don’t preserve crania well). I have photos of the other cranial fragments and stray teeth I can upload as well, but they’re not very helpful because of the fragmenting. I unfortunately don’t have the mandibular carnassials to compare, although the other premolars/incisors/canines seem normal.

The fact that the protocone is missing on both left and right sides makes me think it’s something genetic. The xolos (Mexican hairless dogs) have a linked genetic trait for incomplete dentition and hairlessness (xolos with hair in a litter will have complete dentition, those in the same litter with the hairless gene often have missing teeth). While I don’t think this is a xolo, I think the missing protocone could be a sign of something similar – a tooth issue brought on by a genetic quirk. Hence my interest in whether anyone has found something similar.

And Luc – thank you for the Colyer recommendation! I will check that out.

Best,
Ashley

--
Ashley E. Sharpe