Dear Zooarch Team,

I've come across a case of anomalous dog dentition that I have been unable to find reported elsewhere. I'd be be very interested to hear if anyone has found something similar, either in a dog or other carnivore. The example I have is a dog lacking protocones on both of its upper P4 carnassials. I uploaded a set of photos of the specimen on Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ezz42bachaz5ef/Dog%20missing%20protocone.jpg?dl=0

As the photos show, this is not a case of a reduced protocone -- the protocones are entirely lacking, and there is no third root. The missing protocone occurs on both right and left sides, so it is not a case of one problematic tooth. The maxillary bone developed where the protocone and its root otherwise would be. The dog cranium was found mostly complete but crushed, but from what I can tell of the intact pieces, there are no other signs of abnormalities.

Dogs born with missing teeth are well-documented and characteristic of certain breeds, but I've not found any report of a missing protocone. I've shown the teeth to other zooarchaeologists, zoologists, and paleontologists, but no one I have spoken with has found a similar case in any carnivore.

I would be interested to know if anyone has found a similar case such as this (past or present and anywhere in the world), even cases of missing cusps on other teeth. This particular dog dates to ~2500-3000 BP and was found in Guatemala, which is a time when we have little information about breeds in that area.

Thank you all in advance for your help/advice/comments.

Best,
Ashley