Dear all,

We are delighted to announce the launch of the 'National Zooarchaeological Reference Resource' (NZRR), a specimen-level search portal for vertebrate skeletal collections in the UK. If you've ever found yourself desperately emailing colleagues to find that elusive specimen of chamois, burbot, etc., then this may be the solution.

Funded by a grant from Historic England, the NZRR so far includes data from 10 university zooarchaeology labs, 5 museums, one charitable trust, one private collection, and Historic England's own zooarchaeology lab. We are expecting to add several additional collections in the near future, and welcome further submissions.

The resource is hosted by the Archaeology Data Service and is now live at the following link:

https://doi.org/10.5284/1043267

Please take a look, try out some queries, and let us know what you think. Comments on the search interface are particularly welcome: we're still working on this and already have a list of improvements in the pipeline.

Comments are also very welcome from those outside the UK: we're hoping this might develop into an international resource eventually. If anyone knows of similar initiatives in other countries we'd be very glad to hear about them!

Thanks,

David Orton
Eva Fairnell

--