Open call for performative and artistic walks in Nicosia (Cyprus): a living library of walks

Urban Emptiness invites proposals for a public art and performance festival, focusing on the creative potential of walking the city, taking place from December 1-10, 2017, in Nicosia, Cyprus. We welcome disciplinary diversity: walks, walking performances outdoors, and indoors related visual/ installation, time-based media, virtual work, online-IRL hybrids, and others.

Creating and sharing walks

Urban Emptiness Nicosia invites groups and individuals, to create and share walks that suggest innovative, experimental approaches to the city of Nicosia. Walks should encompass engaging ways of intervening public spaces and relate  to Nicosia's social/cultural/geographical fabric. The project is particularly oriented to projects that challenge us to rethink our everyday relationship to the urban environment.

We reach out with following key topics:

⦁ intimacies, sharing a walk
⦁ urban suspensions/interruptions, pauses in the urban fabric
⦁ playfulness, unexpected encounters, taking risks

Personal or remote participation

Artists can propose a participation on location, but are also encouraged to also contribute remotely in creating a collaborative  “library of walks”, inviting to a walk, a movement performance with or without technological intermediation to become part of a growing library.
The proposed  walk or performance is meant to be performed  remotely  by others (performers, public, or mixed)  in Nicosia.

All walks will be as well included in an open source digital library / database of walks, as part of a complementary indoors exhibition, and available for the public to perform themselves, and  as well as, after the event, as a growing and living archive of walks.

Exhibition

An indoor exhibition with selected art works, related to walks and walking performances, will take place at the venue of the Dance House Nicosia.

http://www.cscalab.com/single-post/2017/06/29/OPEN-CALL-FOR-ARTISTS-PERFORMERS-AND-CREATIVES

Sophia Hadjipapa-Gee, Curator
Geert Vermeire, Curator