Dear members of UTSG,

I wrote to the group in November 2016 to announce the intention of Network Rail to look at facilitating a study on behalf of the rail industry called “Railway for Everyone”. This new study will look at how we can make the railway more accessible and inclusive for the general public. I am pleased to say that the study board sat in February and the study has now commenced.

The last request for information was very helpful and we received really good feedback from all over the industry and across the world. I would now like to ask whether people had further more specific information available and also to promote the workshops that the industry plans to hold later this year.

1.            Further information – I would like to request further information on barriers and needs. Two examples have been particularly helpful:

a.            Flying Carpets for Autistic People: Mobility Barriers and Solutions, University of Glasgow.
b.            Investigating The Rail Commuters’ Experience-Instrumented Passenger Project, Newcastle University.

If anyone would like more information on these please email [log in to unmask]

2.            Workshops – Network Rail is going to be organising regional workshops in Scotland, England and Wales at the end of the summer on behalf of the rail industry. The aim is to get feedback on this topic from a diverse range of people geographically spread. Including from people who may not be regular users of the railway and a mix between people with disabilities and others without. The locations are likely to be Glasgow or Perth, York and Cardiff.

Numbers are going to be limited so please could I politely request that you fill out this survey to register your interest https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/KH7R7W2. If anyone has difficulty using the survey, other formats are available on request via [log in to unmask] Please could I encourage you to forward this email to others who may like to attend so that they can register their interest too.

Many thanks,

Mike

Mike Breakwell
Senior Strategic Planner