Thanks - yes, we are aware of the Amnesty campiagn and support it, of course. However, we were also surprised how little information the Amnesty site actually contained about Ahmed Mansoor. Manu spent a long time with him (under conditions of great secrecy) to get his own take on what he is fighting for.

All the best,

DMW.

From: Research and teaching on surveillance <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Glenn Muschert <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 31 May 2017 21:22:42
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Free Ahmed Mansoor

Thanks to David for posting info about Ahmed Mansoor, the jailed Emirati
human rights defender.  Defending human rights defenders is a sort of
"second order" of human rights work, especially worth doing because human
rights defenders are those who are an important line of defense against
government impunity. International pressure, and in particular from
academics can be very powerful.

I point out that there is a campaign for Ahmed Mansoor via Amnesty
International. The page has ways to express your opinion on this, including
tweets, emails, phone calls, faxes, and of course letters. Please see:
https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/campaigns/2017/03/release-emirati-human-rights-defender-ahmed-mansoor/

If you would like a really quick hacktivist opportunity, then please tweet
the following:

"We call for the immediate and unconditional release of UAE Human Rights
Defender @Ahmed_Mansoor #FreeAhmed @HHShkMohd @MBZNews"

In solidarity,
Glenn

Glenn W. Muschert, Professor
Sociology and Social Justice Studies
Faculty Affiliate, Comparative Media Studies
Miami University (MSC 1118)
Oxford, Ohio 45056-1879 U.S.A.
Phone: +1-513-529-1812; Fax: +1-513-529-8525
Web: http://www.users.MiamiOH.edu/muschegw/
Twitter: @GlennMuschert