The third  Higher Education Library Technology (HELibTech) briefing paper: “The new role of the library in teaching and learning outcomes”  has now been published and is available from the HELibTech briefing papers page http://helibtech.com/Briefing+Papers  Reading list solutions are one of the key themes and we use quotes illustrating the importance of reading lists in UK academic libraries.  We anticipate reading lists getting traction in the US as evidenced by ExLibris and SirsiDynix entering the market.

The HELibTech briefing papers page http://helibtech.com/Briefing+Papers has a short blurb on the paper and links to past papers. Our concluding remarks may be of interest.:

“All this suggests a trend for library technology and educational technology to merge. We will certainly see reading list systems, VLEs and digital textbook platforms better integrated and perhaps even subsumed into common learning services platforms. This might be achieved through mergers and acquisitions or new solutions coming to market. We are beginning to see a shift away from a narrow conception of *library* systems, the *library* supply chain and *library* data. Conventional integrated library systems and even the new generation of library services platforms remain wedded to an outdated view of learning resources and will have to change significantly or be integrated or subsumed into a new generation of learning services platforms.”

Our sense is that this move to *learning* services platforms (LSPs) will find it counterpart in research services platforms (RSPs). At a recent meeting of UK and Irish Library Directors most were actively engaged with various systems to manage research processes and outputs

The paper is CC0 licensed to enable maximum re-use so do feel free to exploit it .

Very best

Ken

Ken Chad Consulting Ltd  <http://www.kenchadconsuting.com/> http://www.kenchadconsulting.com Tel: +44(0)7788727845

Twitter: @kenchad | Skype: kenchadconsulting |Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/kenchad