Surely it all depends on whether they give information about possible mechanisms and issues!

Sent from my iPhone
Alan Taylor
Flinders University.
eDevelopment Solutions.
Mobile 0412 032 576

On 30 Jun 2017, at 8:26 pm, Andrew Booth <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

These have a valuable place within the realist synthesis method. HOWEVER it is important to distinguish between use of these papers for generating programme theory (for which they are valid) and empirical testing of the theory for which they are not. Subsequently they may also have an explanatory role in helping to understand what might be going on.

So essentially there is a distinct place for appropriate use of these papers.

Best wishes

Andrew

Lead Author of Systematic Approaches to a Successful Literature Review, 2nd Edition by Sage Publishing (Publication Date: May 2016]

Dr Andrew Booth BA MSc Dip Lib PhD MCLIP
Reader in Evidence Based Information Practice
School of Health and Related Research (ScHARR)
University of Sheffield,
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
SHEFFIELD
S1 4DA