Dear John,

I'm your man, having been on the British Hypertension Society working party
on validating automated and semi-automated sphygmomanometers.

If you take two successive readings in a short time, the second tends to be
lower than the first.  The SD of repeated readings, both systolic and
diastolic, is at least 8 mm Hg.  The BHS recommendation is always to take
at least two measurements and average them, because of the measurement
error.

Automated meters occasionally produce spurious unusually high readings.
For this reason, Altman and I had to develop a non-parametric approach to
estimating agreement.  I would definitely want to repeat the series before
acting.  However, if I got three successive home measurements above 140 mm
Hg twice running, I would get medical advice.

I took my Omron to the GP with me and we did simultaneous measurements on
different arms to check mine against hers.  They agreed.

Martin

On 6 June 2017 at 10:01, John Bibby <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Blood pressure: I just took my readings three times in 3 minutes. I got
> 210, 170, 140. Does anybody know anything about the error structure of
> blood pressure monitor readings?
>
> JOHN BIBBY
> ****************************************************** Please note that
> if you press the 'Reply' button your message will go only to the sender of
> this message. If you want to reply to the whole list, use your mailer's
> 'Reply-to-All' button to send your message automatically to
> [log in to unmask] Disclaimer: The messages sent to this list are
> the views of the sender and cannot be assumed to be representative of the
> range of views held by subscribers to the Radical Statistics Group. To find
> out more about Radical Statistics and its aims and activities and read
> current and past issues of our newsletter you are invited to visit our web
> site www.radstats.org.uk. *******************************************************

J. Martin Bland
Prof. of Health Statistics Emeritus
Dept. of Health Sciences
Seebohm Rowntree Building
University of York
Heslington
York YO10 5DD

Email: [log in to unmask]
Phone: 01904 321334     Fax: 01904 321382
Web site: http://martinbland.co.uk/

Statement by the University of York:
This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely
for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended
recipient of this email and its attachments, you must take no action based
upon them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone. Please contact the
sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Any views or
represent those of The University of York.