I rarely speak in this forum, but now I think it is time for a cross-cultural comment.

The humour, wit and general attitude of learned British people are often moving close to the border of what a conflict-avoiding Scandinavian would consider snarky and even arrogant. I’m trying to get used to it, but to be honest it’s a bit intimidating – especially as we cannot handle the language as skilfully as native speakers. Like standing too close of the sideline of a rugby field where 95 kg players are clashing and rolling in the mud.

I’m not trying to offend anyone here. See it just as a reflection over the manners of different people.

Olle B.

5 juni 2017 kl. 21:18 skrev Tim Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>:

Oh dear. I for one value the snark on PSCI-COMM.

It can be amusing, but more often it also has a real point to highlight.

If people have a problem with ‘snark’ then I really don’t understand why they thought entering the comms kitchen was a good idea in the first place...

Best,

Tim ‘Brussels snarkadrome’ Reynolds

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Francis Sedgemore
Sent: 05 June 2017 17:21
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PSCI-COM] Comms & Engagement Lead post at new health institute in Cambridge

It would seem that I have offended the list owner and other members, and have been instructed off-list by the owner to “ease up on the snark, thanks”.

Given that I never engage in personal abuse, and do my utmost to respond to contributions in the spirit in which they were intended, I reject the admonishment. In order to avoid any further unrest, I shall unsubscribe from the list.

If so inclined and time permits, I may set up an independent discussion forum with rules that go no further than to outlaw abuse. What I am most keen to do is stimulate discussion about the ethics of science journalism and PR, and the distinction/conflicts between them. Those interested are welcome to contact me viawww.sedgemore.com.

Francis

--
Dr Francis Sedgemore
journalist, writer and recovering physicist