Dear Isaac,

One of my core areas of expertise is quantitative methods and I have a
background in computational social science and design. However, I have
never taught statistics to designers. I think for the basics, any good
undergraduate statistics textbook will do. What needs to be done is to
combine this text book with a statistical package such as SPSS. Many books
today are written specifically for a statistical package with examples and
supplementary material. And if there is a need it can be further
supplemented with design specific examples. But statistics is statistics,
and I think math and stats need to be better integrated into design
education.

For advanced methods however, it is a different world. SPSS is, more often
than not, not enough and one should invest in a better package such as
Stata, R or SAS (of course there are many other good packages and
programming languages). UCLA's IDRE website is a good start with many hands
on examples:

https://stats.idre.ucla.edu/stata/
https://stats.idre.ucla.edu/sas/
https://stats.idre.ucla.edu/r/

But many advanced methods require some knowledge in calculus and matrix
algebra, and without that it might be hard to teach them.

This is a huge topic and I don't have a lot of time to write more right
now, but I will be more than happy chat on or off list again.

Yours,

ali