Link for further info as promised: https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Open_Coalition#Impact_Report

On 5 June 2017 at 13:36, Martin Poulter, Economics Network <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi all,
there's been a previous attempt to affiliate the open movements, and I hope something like it can be resurrected. John Cummings (a Wikipedian In Residence, currently at UNESCO) proposed a "league" of open movements in the UK, involving the Open Knowledge Foundation (as it was then called), Wikimedia and groups. For a while, there was a part-time staff member, hosted in the Wikimedia UK office in London, who did some co-ordination between different groups: I think it involved mainly looking at how to maximise the impact of events by coordinating speakers, resources and publicity. Then in 2015 Wikimedia UK had a large funding cut and scaled down its office staff. I've asked John and also Jon Davies (WMUK Chief Executive at the time) if there's any write-up of what was achieved. Rather than a journal, I think it's co-ordination of activity that's needed: of events, of advocacy. Although a top-sliced person working between different projects and institutions probably isn't feasible, maybe we can push to expand the roles of people in key positions.

When I talk to research projects as a WIR, I find that we can in one sitting discuss open data for the semantic web, openly licensing digital resources for support education, and opening research outputs to achieve reach. It's hard to talk about open education in economics, for example, without discussing the availability and reusability of data. I expect a lot of us are finding ourselves thinking and advocating across different categories of open. (I like Suchith's suggestion of explicitly looking at overlaps in dedicated conference sessions.) Maybe we should be pushing for more institutional recognition of this multi-layered nature of our work?