Dear Neil and all interested,

The following are two paras in the 2014 version (which I still have on file). I would think they are differently in the 2017 version. Perhaps other changes too in other parts. Also I am told there is an explanation of sorts under ‘Acknowledgments’ in the new version. http://www.bps.org.uk/networks-and-communities/member-microsite/division-clinical-psychology/understanding-psychosis-and-schizophrenia

1.3 Our different cultures

People in different cultures describe problems in different ways. For instance, distress that in some

cultures might be described in terms of physical pain or discomfort might be thought of in others

as depression or anxiety. The ways that people explain their experiences might also vary between

cultures. Unpleasant or upsetting experiences are often explained using beliefs that are common in

that particular culture: examples might be ghosts, evil spirits or aliens. Sometimes explanations

used by people from ethnic minorities or from particular subcultures seem very strange to people

from majority cultures. This can lead to misinterpretations if the context is not understood. For

example, someone from a culture where many people believe in the possibility of demon possession

might believe that he or she is possessed. In trying to help someone, we need to take into account

not only their distress but also the circumstances that they find themselves in, their response to

those circumstances and their upbringing and cultural background

6.3 Inequality, poverty and social disadvantage

We all deal with many stressful events in our lives. The normal and inevitable cycles of childhood,

adolescence, gaining or not gaining qualifications, employment, relationships and the end of

relationships, disease and death affect us all. These major life events are often stressful. In addition,

ongoing stress can affect us – overwork, poor housing, financial difficulties, relationship problems

and so on. And all these pressures are worse if you’re poor.

Stress and poverty impact significantly on mental health, leading public health researchers to refer

to the ‘social determinants’ of mental health problems. In the words of a review for the World

Health Organisation: ‘No group is immune to mental disorders, but the risk is higher among the

poor, homeless, the unemployed, persons with low education…’ Recent research in London19

suggested that two of the three main risk factors for developing distressing psychosis were

deprivation and the experience of living in dense, urban environments. The researchers suggest that

‘the urban environment can modify brain function in adulthood in response to stress’. Interestingly,

the third risk factor was inequality – poor people living in neighbourhoods where richer people also

lived, tended to do worse than those living in neighbourhoods where most people had a similar

income. This finding is similar to those of researchers Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett, whose

book The Spirit Level 20 presented evidence that rates of mental health problems are higher in

unequal countries – those with larger gaps in income between rich and poor, such as the UK –

than in countries that are more equitable, for example Norway.

People from migrant groups, particularly people of African and African-Caribbean origin living in

the UK, are much more likely than White British people to be diagnosed with schizophrenia,21 even

though rates in their home countries are generally similar to those in the UK. At least part of the

reason for this is likely to be the social disadvantage and deprivation that they often experience.

This is a complex issue: people from these groups are more likely than others to experience distress,

but even where their actual experiences or ‘symptoms’ are similar, they are also more likely than

others to receive a diagnosis of schizophrenia.22

Best wishes,

Suman

Suman Fernando