Dear Neil,

I think discussing ‘diversity’ /equality inevitably and necessarily leads to discussing racism (and other discriminatory practices and attitudes like antisemitism and Islamophobia). So equality and diversity being off the agenda is really equivalent to racism being off the agenda.  I think the ‘Obama effect’  (‘post-race’ theory) may have something to do with this but I think there are other forces in action.  It is essential at this time of social-political instability that we talk about all this (as ‘institutional racism’ perhaps) at conferences and meetings and in publications, so it’s out in the open.  Under the carpet approach, hoping it will go away is always counter-productive. That means I think white and non-white (‘people of colour’ / BME) of good will (and there are many in the UK) talking together is essential. In my view, potentially racist attitudes and behaviours are there is all of us and in our systems (like education and mental health) and it our responsibility to keep them at bay as much as possible.

Suman

From: Health of minority ethnic communities in the UK [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sanyal, Neil
Sent: 21 June 2017 13:07
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Race is off the agenda with a vengence

I was aware that Equality and Diversity were “off the agenda” since 2010 but wasn’t aware that race and racism were also off the agenda too. I must say that it doesn’t come up much in any frequent discourse in our Adult Social Services Department here. That doesn’t mean everyone has now become racist again though.

Neil

Neil Sanyal
Social Worker/AMHP
Adult Mental Health New Forest Substance Misuese Social Care Team
Lymington Area Office

Lymington

Hampshire
SO41 9YB