On 21 and 22 July Royal Museums Greenwich will host an interdisciplinary conference which aims to interrogate the processes and products of mapping the Arctic, to coincide with the opening of a major new exhibition, Death in the Ice: the shocking story of Franklin's final expedition, about John Franklin's voyage to look for a North-West Passage, and the searches for those involved which followed. At a moment when the story of Franklin's 1845 expedition is being exploited by various commercial and political interests, we seek to broaden and deepen our understanding of voyages of exploration, surveying and mapping practices, and their subsequent narration.

Bookings are now open, and a full programme can be found here: http://www.rmg.co.uk/see-do/exhibitions-events/mapping-past-exploiting-future-cartographies-and-understandings-arctic