Please join our next Research Seminar at the Science Museum.

Charlotte Connelly: Untangling Ohm’s apparatus

6 June, 13-14h

Dana Study

Dana Research Centre and Library, 165 Queen’s Gate, London SW7 5HD.

These seminars are open to students, museum professionals and academics with an interest in research relating to material culture and museums.

Feel free to bring a packed lunch to eat during the seminar.

Charlotte Connelly (University of Cambridge/Science Museum): Untangling Ohm’s apparatus

In 1826, when Georg Simon Ohm first published the famous electrical law now known simply as Ohm’s law, he described a piece of apparatus that drew on recent developments in theories of electricity and magnetism. In seeking to become familiar with his apparatus, despite the fact that the original instrument is not believed to have survived, I have interacted with replica instruments held at the Science Museum, the Deutsches Museum and the Europa–Universität in Flensburg, Germany. In this presentation I will describe my own fledgling experiments in reproducing parts of Ohm’s apparatus. This work strives to understand the challenges Ohm faced, while also gaining a tactile understanding of electrical effects. This is particularly valuable when studying a period where the language to describe electrical phenomena had not yet been standardised. Through this work I have been able to untangle what at first appears to be a complicated piece of apparatus, and better understand the theoretical and practical challenges inherent in its use. Most importantly, however, different parts of the apparatus provide physical evidence for Ohm’s position in debates taking place at the time. While his writing may have aimed to please all parties, the instrument had to take sides.

We look forward to seeing you.

Convened by Bergit Arends and Oliver Carpenter

Bergit Arends

Acting Research and Public History Manager

Tuesday to Thursday

Dana Research Centre and Library

Science Museum

165 Queens Gate

London SW7 5HD

Tel 0207 942 4036

www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/research

For updates on all Science Museum news and events sign up to our free e-newsletter at www.sciencemuseum.org.uk

This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee only and are confidential. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately, delete the message from your computer system and destroy any copies. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not reflect the views of the Science Museum Group. Please note that any information sent, received or held by Science Museum Group may be disclosed under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.