Conference Announcement: ‘Joseph Banks: Science, Culture and Exploration, 1743-1820’

Dates: 14-16 September 2017

Venue: The Royal Society and Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, (London, UK)

With Keynote Speakers Professor David Igler (University of California, Irvine) and Professor Kapil Raj (Centre Alexandre-Koyré, Paris), and other speakers from a range of disciplines, the conference reflects new research on the global contexts of Banks’s interests, influence and legacies.

Here is the Conference Programme<https://royalsociety.org/~/media/events/2017/09/library-joseph-banks/joseph-banks-conference-programme.pdf?la=en-GB>.

The Network steering committee is grateful to the AHRC, the Royal Society and Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew for their generous support of this conference.

Booking for the Conference is now open. To book, follow this link to the Royal Society’s website where full information can be found:

https://royalsociety.org/science-events-and-lectures/2017/09/joseph-banks/

Background: This conference is the culmination of an 18-month AHRC-funded Network project exploring the intersections of Enlightenment science, culture, commerce and empire through the figure of Joseph Banks, his correspondents, circles and networks. The ‘Joseph Banks Science, Culture and the Remaking of the Indo-Pacific World’ Network is a collaborative partnership between the National Maritime Museum, University College London, the Royal Society, Natural History Museum and the National Portrait Gallery. For further information on the Network project, see our webpage: www.rmg.co.uk/josephbanksnetwork<http://www.rmg.co.uk/josephbanksnetwork>

For queries on the conference or Joseph Banks Network project, please contact the Network coordinator Sally Archer [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Rupert Baker
Library Manager

T +44 20 7451 2599

The Royal Society
6-9 Carlton House Terrace
London SW1Y 5AG
royalsociety.org<http://royalsociety.org/>

Registered Charity No 207043

This email is sent on behalf of The Royal Society, 6-9 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5AG, United Kingdom.

The contents of this email and any attachments are intended for the confidential use of the named recipient(s) only. They may be legally privileged and should not be communicated to or relied upon by any person without our express written consent. If you are not an addressee (or you have received this mail in error) please notify us immediately by email to: [log in to unmask], and confirm the deletion of this email and attachments immediately.
You should carry out your own virus check before opening any attachment. The Royal Society accepts no liability for any loss or damage which may be caused by software viruses or interception or interruption of this email.
Please see our privacy policy for details of how any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us.

Registered charity no. 207043

The views or opinions are solely those of the author of this email, and do not represent those of The Royal Society unless specifically stated.