This may be outside your remit but Elijah was (and is) important to the Carmelite order, so reading Carmelite literature of this period would probably be helpful
Ackerman, J. (1995). Stories of Elijah and Medieval Carmelite Identity. History of Religions, 35(2), 124-147. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org.libaccess.hud.ac.uk/stable/1062693

Dr Pat Cullum BA (Hons) DPhil FRHistS, FHEA
School Co-ordinator for Student Experience
School of Music, Humanities and Media
University of Huddersfield
HUDDERSFIELD HD1 3DH
West Yorkshire UK
Tel: + 44 (0)1484 472315
Fax: + 44 (0) 1484 472655
Email: [log in to unmask]
www.hud.ac.uk/mhm/history/

I would greatly appreciate some help finding commentaries on the Bible that
were compiled and/or popular during the high middle ages in Western Europe.

The focus of my research is Elijah the Prophet and I want to see what was
written about him on the basis of his activity in Kings and his connection
to John the Baptist.

So far in me research, I have found two kinds of discussions. The first is
the biblical commentary of the church fathers, and the second is the modern
biblical scholarship focusing on the first centuries AD.

These materials have been very helpful, but not enough to understand how
Elijah was viewed in 12-15th century western Europe.

Can anyone point me to a so-called "golden standard" of medieval biblical
commentary? A compilation of exegesis that would have been familiar to the
widest circles of the population (to varying degrees, of course)?

Thank you very much,

Chana

Chana Shacham-Rosby

PhD Candidate

Department of Jewish History

Ben Gurion University of the Negev

<mailto:[log in to unmask]>  In order to report problems or to contact
the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>  For further information,
visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/medieval-religion

<mailto:[log in to unmask]>  In order to report problems or to contact
the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>  For further information,
visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/medieval-religion

University of Huddersfield inspiring tomorrow's professionals.
[http://marketing.hud.ac.uk/_HOSTED/EmailSig2014/EmailSigFooter.jpg]