From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Chana Shacham-Rosby
Sent: June 13, 2017 7:17 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [M-R] biblical commentary of the high middle ages

I would greatly appreciate some help finding commentaries on the Bible that were compiled and/or popular during the high middle ages in Western Europe.

The focus of my research is Elijah the Prophet and I want to see what was written about him on the basis of his activity in Kings and his connection to John the Baptist.

So far in me research, I have found two kinds of discussions. The first is the biblical commentary of the church fathers, and the second is the modern biblical scholarship focusing on the first centuries AD.

These materials have been very helpful, but not enough to understand how Elijah was viewed in 12-15th century western Europe.

Can anyone point me to a so-called "golden standard" of medieval biblical commentary? A compilation of exegesis that would have been familiar to the widest circles of the population (to varying degrees, of course)?

Thank you very much,

Chana

Chana Shacham-Rosby

PhD Candidate