1 Tim 2: 1-4 provides a clear scriptual foundation for such prayer:

"First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thankgivings be made for all men, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life, godly and respectful in every way. This is good and it is acceptable in the sight of God our Savior who desires all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth."

So it presumably was a part of Christian worship from earliest times.

Tertullian responds to accusations that the Christians are traitors by writing at length on such prayers:

For we offer prayer for the safety of our princes to the eternal, the true, the living God, whose favour, beyond all others, they must themselves desire. They know from whom they have obtained their power; they know, as they are men, from whom they have received life itself; they are convinced that He is God alone, on whose power alone they are entirely dependent, to whom they are second, after whom they occupy the highest places, before and above all the gods. ...

But we merely, you say, flatter the emperor, and feign these prayers of ours to escape persecution. Thank you for your mistake, for you give us the opportunity of proving our allegations. Do you, then, who think that we care nothing for the welfare of Cæsar, look into God’s revelations, examine our sacred books, which we do not keep in hiding, and which many accidents put into the hands of those who are not of us. Learn from them that a large benevolence is enjoined upon us, even so far as to supplicate God for our enemies, and to beseech blessings on our persecutors. ...

There is also another and a greater necessity for our offering prayer in behalf of the emperors, nay, for the complete stability of the empire, and for Roman interests in general. For we know that a mighty shock impending over the whole earth—in fact, the very end of all things threatening dreadful woes—is only retarded by the continued existence of the Roman empire. We have no desire, then, to be overtaken by these dire events; and in praying that their coming may be delayed, we are lending our aid to Rome’s duration...

[Tertullian, Apology, 29-32]

I do not think it is clear when these prayers entered the anaphora or Eucharistic Prayer.  Justin Martyr, writing about a Baptism in his First Apology, describes intercessions occurring before the eucharistic prayer - like the "Prayer of the faithful" or "Universal Prayer" today:

But we, after we have thus washed him who has been convinced and has assented to our teaching, bring him to the place where those who are called brethren are assembled, in order that we may offer hearty prayers in common for ourselves and for the baptized [illuminated] person, and for all others in every place, that we may be counted worthy, now that we have learned the truth, by our works also to be found good citizens and keepers of the commandments, so that we may be saved with an everlasting salvation. Having ended the prayers, we salute one another with a kiss. There is then brought to the president of the brethren bread and a cup of wine mixed with water; and he taking them, gives praise and glory to the Father of the universe, through the name of the Son and of the Holy Ghost, and offers thanks at considerable length for our being counted worthy to receive these things at His hands.

Notice, though, that he prays "at considerable length".  This contrasts with the very short, rather minimalist so-called "Prayer of Hippolytus", which is probably not from Hippolytus, but Syrian,  and may even be as late as the 4th century.  [It served as a model for the much-used 'Eucharistic Prayer II" of the modern Roman Rite.] We cannot exclude the possibility, I think, that intercessions, including prayers for the emperor, were included by at least some presiders in Justin's day (2nd century.)

All this pre-dates the medieval period , but forms an interesting background to it.