Dear colleagues,

I’m pleased to announce that issue 28 of MeCCSA's newsletter, Three-D, is now available.

This is a special election issue, where we dissect the party manifestos stance on higher education policy and take a look at media and political campaigning. As always we also feature our regular network and Annual Conference updates, and a detailed look at media policy.

Web version of newsletter: http://www.meccsa.org.uk/news/newsletter/
Direct link to PDF file of newsletter (4.7Mb): http://bit.ly/ThreeD-Issue028_v1

Paper copies of the newsletter will be distributed to the lead contact of each institutional member.

Three-D, issue 28 - Latest

In this issue:
1 2017 Election Special: HE policy, media and the campaign (Einar Thorsen)

Election 2017
2 The idea of the University (Julian McDougall)
4 Higher Education and the 2017 General Election Manifestos (Andrew Gunn)
5 The impact of impartiality (Justin Lewis)
6 Women leaders and the pitfalls of ‘going personal’ (Emily Harmer)
7 Civil society and grassroots voices in the election coverage (Jen Birks & Abi Rhodes)
9 General Election 2017: the Brexit Campaign? (Deacon, Downey, Smith, Stanyer & Wring)
10 Not the Brexit election many predicted (Stephen Cushion)
10 Acrimony and division (Gordon Ramsay)

Media Policy
13 Combatting fake news: analysis of submissions to the fake news inquiry (Vian Bakir & Andrew McStay)
16 Why the Fox-Sky merger must be stopped (Justin Schlosberg)

Obituary
17 Mike O’Brien (Caroline Mitchell)

MeCCSA Annual Conferences
18 MeCCSA 2017: University of Leeds (Katy Parry)
20 MeCCSA 2018: London South Bank University (Philip Hammond)

Reports and Initiatives
22 Chair’s report (Natalie Fenton)
23 Letter in support of CEU
24 Response to consultation on second REF
28 Response on Leveson inquiry and its implementation
32 Policy Network (Des Freedman)
34 Practice Network (Nick Higgins; Sarah Haynes)
36 Radio Studies Network (Helen Gubbins)
37 Social Movements Network (Rosalind Brunt)
37 Women’s Media Studies Network (Gamze Toylan)
38 Postgraduate Network (Patricia Prieto-Blanco)

Three-D is the official newsletter of MeCCSA. Its aim is to provide news and comment of interest to the media, communication and cultural studies fields. Contributions do not necessarily reflect the views of the Association, or its Executive Committee.

If you would like to write for or advertise in the next edition of Three-D, please get in touch with me by the end of October 2017 at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

We aim to produce two issues of Three-D per year. Electronic copies are sent free to all members of MeCCSA, but please forward this email to colleagues who might not be on the distribution lists.

All the best,
Einar

Einar Thorsen, PhD
Associate Professor of Journalism and Communication
School of Journalism, English and Communication

Phone:   +44 (0)1202 968838
Twitter:   http://twitter.com/einarthorsen
Website: http://journalismstudies.info<http://journalismstudies.info/>

Associate Director, CsJCC
http://research.bournemouth.ac.uk/centre/journalism-culture-and-community/

Communication Officer of MeCCSA:
http://www.meccsa.org.uk/

US Election Analysis 2016:
http://www.electionanalysis2016.us

BU is a Disability Confident Employer and has signed up to the Mindful Employer charter. Information about the accessibility of University buildings can be found on the BU DisabledGo webpages. This email is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential information. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this email, which must not be copied, distributed or disclosed to any other person. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Bournemouth University or its subsidiary companies. Nor can any contract be formed on behalf of the University or its subsidiary companies via email.