Dear Colleagues,

Firstly, all with an interest in indexing, classification (traditional or automatic), metadata, taxonomies and the like, please take a look at the  programme (still provisional at this stage) for our September conference.

Secondly please especially consider  participating in our "False Narratives" session, aiming to develop a KO response to post-truth phenomena such as Fake news, Alternative facts, Social media echo chambers and other worrying developments. Not everyone is worried, though. According to some analyses, fake news may not have had  much impact on events such as the 2016 US presidential election. Should we worry more about the home-grown bias  of personalized feeds from our web browsers?

Enlightenment on the technical issues, and energy to pursue solutions, will come from our first two speakers in this special session on 12 September:

Then it will be your turn to contribute to a panel-led debate. As well as hearing from supporters of an evidence-based approach to knowledge and information - whether for  politics or for science - we'll open the discussion to dissenters, and to proposals for action. We're still canvassing for ideas, so do contact me in advance with any suggestions.

Thirdly, don't forget to register for the conference this month, to benefit from the early-bird discount. See more at <www.iskouk.org/content/isko-uk-conference-2017-knowledge-organization-whats-story>, and register at <www.iskouk.org/content/2017-conference-registration>. This year, for the first time, delegates can choose to register for just one day of our conference. Please pass this message on to any colleagues who can't make it on the Monday but want to join in the False Narratives debate on the Tuesday.

Hoping to see you there,

Stella Dextre Clarke

Vice-Chair, ISKO UK

www.iskouk.org

Twitter: @ISKOUK

Stella Dextre Clarke
Vice-Chair, ISKO UK and Vice-President, ISKO
Luke House, West Hendred, Wantage, OX12 8RR, UK
Tel: 01235-833-298