*apologies for cross-posting*

CILIP is undertaking a major review of professional ethics and, in particular, of the Ethical Principles and Code of Professional Practice for Library and Information Professionals it produced in 2005. In the ten years since they were published there have been great changes in the profession driven by technological development, changes in information governance and regulation,  the growing importance of data and its management, new professional roles  and responsibilities, and changing user expectations. For much of the period the financial crisis has also meant limited funding for many services and big changes in governance and service delivery.

Therefore it is time to look again at the ethics of our profession and an Ethics Review will be launched with a Breakfast Workshop at the CILIP Conference on Thursday 6 July at 8.30am with speaker Salil Tripathi from the Institute for Human Rights and Business. Help CILIP identify the big issues facing the profession and members in their work. Start the ball rolling as we review the need for ethics in our profession and the effectiveness of the current Ethical Principles and Code of Professional Practice.

This will be open to all conference delegates. If you have yet to register as a conference delegate, you still can at http://bit.ly/conf17j6

The philosophical and ethical questions surrounding data provide the background to the keynote speech from Professor Luciano Floridi on Wednesday 5 July. Professor Floridi is the Oxford Internet Institute Professor of Philosophy and Ethics of Information and he says, "We are moving from living in the biosphere to living in the infosphere. That shift has immense consequences". Professor Floridi sees libraries and librarians as being portals into the infosphere, there to help people navigate and understand how they fit into that space.

The CILIP Conference takes place in Manchester, 5-6 July and the complete programme, social events, exhibitors and keynote speakers can be found at http://bit.ly/conf17j6

                                                 _
Rachel Kudlick
CILIP Events
www.cilip.org.uk/join
CILIP, the library and information association
7 Ridgmount St, London, WC1E 7AE

lis-e-resources is a UKSG list - http://www.uksg.org
Follow us on Twitter:  https://twitter.com/UKSG