Hi Alistair,

I think that it is unlikely that Azure AD will be a plausible replacement for Shibboleth in the near future, in the absence of capabilities such as the ability to consume metadata aggregates and so forth.

If you are interested in a "single solution to federated access", I would point you to Jisc's forthcoming Liberate service. This will offer a solution supporting the UK Access Management Federation, Eduroam, Assent, and legacy IP address authentication. We have a number of organisations piloting this today; a beta service starts in July (offered at no cost), and a production service will follow in September (tariff applicable).

https://www.jisc.ac.uk/rd/projects/managed-idp-service

Josh.