The paper is terrific, absolutely magnificent, I really love it. Nevertheless, the sad part of the story is that the general finding could and should have been known since 1981. As I wrote in our paper (Heene, M., Hilbert, S., Draxler, C., Ziegler, M., & Bühner, M. (2011). Masking misfit in confirmatory factor analysis by increasing unique variances: A cautionary note on the usefulness of cutoff values of fit indices. Psychological Methods, 16(3), 319.):

„Finally, it is worth pointing out that the general result of the present study about the impact of factor-loading size on statistical power is not entirely new but went largely unheeded in the application of SEM, although Schönemann (1981) already showed the dependency of the power of the chi-square model test on the unique variances in the context of exploratory factor analysis.“

Papers on the impact of nuisance parameters (i.e., size of factor loadings as in this case) on the power of the chi-square test and the sensitivity of fit indices to detect misspecifications are usually tactically ignored in applied SEM. In my opinion, SEM has become a pointless and often pseudo-scientific exercise in order to land a publication.

As Schonemann put it in 1981:
“The uncritical acceptance of such myths is widespread, because they are convenient and ennobling. They are convenient because they promise a mechanical device for conducting research. They are ennobling because they lend the mantle of scientific legitimacy to unproven conjectures.” (p. 354 in: Schonemann, P. H. (1981a). Factorial definitions of intelligence: Dubious legacy of dogma in data analysis. In I. Borg (Ed.), Multidimensional Data Representations: When & Why. Ann Arbor: Mathesis Press. http://www.schonemann.de/fileadmin/mat/pdf/33.pdf)

Call me a heretic but given the common practice in SEM despite the impressive evidence that the reliance one cutoff values for fit indices is nonsense, I am actually done with SEM. In a personal communication Saris summed it up quite nicely:

"... the power of the chi^2 test and the fit indices is affected by all kinds of characteristics of the model which have nothing to do with the size of the misspecification. These effects are rather complex and can be different for different parameters of the model. This was the reason that we concluded, in fact already in an earlier paper, that the test for the whole model is impossible and suggested to test for misspecifications“.

Of course, people will continue to publish impressive SEMs based on shaky cutoff-values despite such papers. It is just because the mantle of scientific legitimacy to unproven conjectures keeps the machine for paper-producing and grant-funding well-oiled.

Regards,

Moritz