Hi Nigel,

Does the slab look like it's been lifted from a quarry or from among foreshore rubble? Air-weathered and/or slightly water-worn? As you know it's so difficult to be confident from photos alone, but it does remind me a little of pre-Planorbis slabs I've seen from the intertidal at Aust and other locs along the N Somerset coast.

Guess you've checked out

  1. Binney E. W.
 1859Notice of Lias Deposits at Quarry-Gill and other places near CarlisleQuarterly Journal of the Geological Society of London 15,549551.

There's also a review of the subsurface Carlisle succession by Hugh Ivimey-Cook et al., PYGS 1995. Some of the references therein might be useful?

Hope this helps,

Jon

Jon Radley

Curator of Natural Sciences

Heritage & Culture Warwickshire (HCW)

Community
​Services​
Communities Group

Warwickshire County Council

Tel: 01926 418182

Email: [log in to unmask]

Websites: heritage.warwickshire.gov.uk // www.ourwarwickshire.org.uk

Follow us on Twitter @archaeologyw@oisinthedeer@Chambearlin,

@RuairiTheFawn and @ourwarwickshire

Like our Facebook page Warwickshire Museum.

For regular updates from Heritage and Culture Warwickshire sign-up to our e-newsletter here and follow the Our Warwickshire project progress here